A server being a type of PC, and a PC being a open-platform, the process is less than straight forward. Not least because tiny OSes like DOS are on the way out without a suitable replacement; there’s WinPE but most IHVs have yet to use this for flashing BIOSes – maybe it cannot be done. Floppies have also gone without a really easy way to replace them. And Microsoft have removed SYS and the /S option from FORMAT, just to piss you off.
You’ll also need an XP machine because the tool that’s key to all this doesn’t run on Vista/7. Makes you want to scream doesn’t it?
- Download the IMG file from the IBM site.
- Download the HP USB Flash Boot Thingy Tool from here.
- Install it onto your XP box.
- Stick your USB pen in and run the HP tool.
- Choose to make a floppy and point it to the IBM .img file.
- It should complete in a second.
- Shove the USB pen in your IBM server and hit F12 to boot from Removable Drives.
- Follow the instructions.