ActiveSync Encountered a Problem on the Desktop

Tuesday, December 29, 2009 / Posted by Luke Puplett /

This is just a quick note explaining a method I used to resolve the error message above.

Firstly, I disconnected the phone and closed Outlook and repaired all my storage files using the old ScanPst.exe tool that's secreted away when Outlook is installed.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\SCANPST.EXE

I pointed this at my primary storage file, which is an Offline Store because I used the Windows Live Connector to get at my Hotmail account.


And then I repaired all other PST files I use, just for completeness. During the repair, ScanPst can hang and be reported as Not Responding - this is surely because while its single thread does the repair it stop pumping the window message queue.

Then I deleted the partnership in Windows and also on ActiveSync actually on the phone itself; run ActiveSync and then in Options, hit Delete on the head of the tree of folders which kills the partnership and cleans up.

I opened Outlook on the desktop and let it do it's thing with Windows Live. It seemed to detect major changes because it appeared to exhaustively sync every item in all folders, taking 10 minutes.

Closed Outlook when done and connected the phone. Setup a new partnership with different names in case it linked back to old registry data. Allowed a good 10 minutes to complete. Well, actually it never completes because I've had a problem for months where it encounters some kind of error and restarts, but this doesn't happened until all items are in, so I don't really worry about it.

Disconnected, done.

Labels: ,


Post a Comment